Aug 08 2007

The Door, Miroslav Holub

Published by under Change

garden door || canon 300d | 1/50s | f4 | ISO 100Does the discussion of the poem reflect your own thoughts and interpretations? What other comments could you add?

21 responses so far

21 Responses to “The Door, Miroslav Holub”

1.   Harry Viverson 08 Aug 2007 at 1:37 pm

Does the discussion of the poem reflect your own thoughts and interpretation?
    This poem reflects many of my own thoughts and interpretations. For example the door I thought was a barrier to change. Also how the poem is encouraging to open the door for immeasurable success. It has encouraged this with an imperative voice (tone) and outlined success as immeasurable through juxtaposition and the fact it says we will at least get a draft. The way I have been brought up also does the same thing as the poem. My parents have used different material to encourage me to ‘open the door’ like a song called ‘the river’ which has the same message.

2.   msbarnsleyon 14 Aug 2007 at 8:53 pm

Thank Harry. The poem encourages us to see that change, even if it is mundane (the draught), is better than remaining stagnant in life. I look forward to you discussing how “The River” presents the same message.

3.   Ryanon 15 Aug 2007 at 9:21 pm

What does the image of the door represent and symbolize?
    The door is a barrier between one’s every day life and something new. It is an idea where one is stepping out of their comfort zone.

What ideas and notions of change are represented in the poem?
    The ideas represented here are of a different world beyond this door. It is representing curiosity and inquisitiveness.

How does the poem present a point of view on the concept of change?
    This is saying how some people are really afraid of the concept of something new and unknown. This is used through imperative voice and imagery.

How does the poem develop your own view and experiences of change?
    It does make me more curious and want to experience new things. This poem shows how a lot of humans, even if their comfort zone is empty and blank, will not want to leave their limited world

4.   jonoon 17 Aug 2007 at 10:40 am

The Door’ is symbolizing a world, which is ever changing and evolving. It is illustrating that our world is surprising in which we never know what is around the corner and in this sense, every time we ‘open the door’ something has changed and unexpected. It is also representing that all opportunities should be taken. The poem is expressing an extended metaphor.
    - The door represents a barrier from change
    - Metaphor for being scared of change. Being locked from change

5.   Chrison 17 Aug 2007 at 10:42 am

• What (content) does the image of the door represent and symbolise?
    The image of door represents the chance of huge opportunity and also a barrier for change.
    • What ideas and notions of change are represented in the poem?
    The change of what you will see when you next go and open the door.
    • How (technique) does the poem present a point of view on the concept of change?
    The poem suggest that many things could be on the other side of the door and this constantly changes. The writer uses repetition and an imperative voice to express change in the poem. “Go and open the door”.
    • How does the poem develop your own view and experiences of change?
    I think this poem is very relevant in today’s world. It looks at how things may change if you don’t take the opportunity

6.   Cam Bon 17 Aug 2007 at 10:47 am

Does the discussion of the poem reflect your own thoughts and interpretations?
    Yes the discussion of this poem, The Door by Miroslav Holub, does reflect my own interpretations and thoughts. I interpreted the door to be a barrier to change, a block between the day-to-day perspectives and the things that change in everyday life.
    The repetition of insisting to open the door encourages the reader to go on, accept change, but if nothing has changed, “at least there’ll be a draft”.

7.   Boydon 17 Aug 2007 at 10:56 am

Does the discussion of the poem reflect your own thoughts and interpretations? What other comments could you add?
    The discussion just reinforced my own ideas and changed a few of them. For example I had thought that the ‘open the door’ had meant to open up to life but instead it had been a barrier to change and this makes more sense to me. I thouth that all the different things on the other side of the door were all the different possibilities and what you would find if you did open the door.

8.   Alecon 17 Aug 2007 at 10:59 am

This song has strong power that reflects my own thoughts and interpretations in a significant way. In the poem a door is reviewed upon as being a barrier to change, a barrier to new and better things as well as a barrier to negative things. The poem uses strong influence to encourage people to go past the barrier whether the result or outcome is good or bad but the important thing to know is that past the barrier there is always something for some one, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. This is encouraged strongly throughout the poem by using a imperative voice and repetition throughout the poem. This song has many values that are similar to my personal experiences, as I’ve grown up. Throughout my life there has been many people putting much emphasis for me to go and open the door, take chances, accept change, as it is a concept of life that no one can get away from.

9.   Jarrodon 17 Aug 2007 at 11:01 am

The image of the door represents the passageways to change that we must travel through. We can see the change on the other side of the door and we can imagine what that change may be, both bad things and wonderful things. The door also represents a barrier and a difficulty to achieving positiv change in ones life, the concept of a passageway is littered with allusions of fear and trepidation and this represents the barrier between positive change and you.

What ideas and notions of change are represented in the peom?

The notions of change that are represented in the poem are the deep seated and represent ideals of the human psyche, it plays on the fear of the reader and the readers reluctance to accept any change for fear of negative change. The different outcomes explore all possibilities of change such as societal, “the magic city”, the contrasting “or a rumaging dog” and the mundane “at least there’ll be a draught”.

The poem presents a point of view on the concept of change by the wide range of different possibilites that it presents. It shows the scope of change that is possible be it mundane or incredible and in the last line it shows that all change is good with the hopeful statement of “at least there’ll be a draught”.

How does the poem develop my view and experience of change?

The poem develops my view on change by gving me the hope that all change is good no matter whether perceive it as negative or postive, that no change and stagnancy can be worse than any negative change.

10.   brenton 17 Aug 2007 at 11:04 am

Discussing this poem gave me a greater understanding of what change really is. I realized that change is something that is always there but only if we accept it. The door represents the barrier between change and by opening the door we are accepting the change. The poem discusses that change will always hold something different whether it’s a just a draught or whether a magical city is there. The door represents our comfort zone where going and opening the door is going outside our comfort zone.

11.   Tomon 17 Aug 2007 at 11:18 am

Yes this discussion does reflect my own thoughts and interpretations. I agree with the way that it portrays the door as a symbol of change and as a barrier to change. As well as this I agree that it is representative of peoples “comfort zones” and the way that they don’t like to leave them or in other words change. Also the way that when you open the door anything is possible and these things could change your life. Over all this discussion basically sums up all of my thoughts and interpretations of the poem.

12.   samoon 17 Aug 2007 at 11:20 am

This is a beautiful poem. It really gives a positive view on change. I believe that the door is a barrier that for change, if you don’t take it, you are the fool because it is so easy to walk through a door whilst it is also so easy to ignore a door on a day when it is rainy and cold….. The imperative voice in the gives a real push for change and the modality to change is high.
    What other comments could you add?
    I believe that change is very good for the soul and for the benefit of those around you, everyone looks forward to change from our mundane and routine ruled world. But if you have change in little aspects of your life then the “norm” may seem fun and exciting rather than mundane and monotonous.

13.   Henryon 17 Aug 2007 at 11:51 am

The discussion of the door mostly represents my view of the poem. I feel that the door is a barrier to change and that yes it is an entry point. Not only this but the hesitation to open the door makes me think that the door is also a representation fear of the change that opening the door brings. When the possibilities of what is behind the door are being listed it makes change seem as harmless a possible by saying that there will be a tree or a dog. It is to persuade the hesitant one to open the door by saying that change is not frightening. I agree with the rest of the discussion particularly where it says that ‘the poem encourages us to at least seek change, to preserve and at least “Open the door” as there is still benefit in experiencing whatever we find’ and it does this by using the ordinary mixed with the extraordinary.

14.   brenton 17 Aug 2007 at 11:53 am

Discussing this poem gave me a greater understanding of what change really is. I realized that change is something that is always there but only if we accept it. The door represents the barrier between change and by opening the door we are accepting the change. The poem discusses that change will always hold something different whether it’s a just a draught or whether a magical city is there. The door represents our comfort zone. When we take the opportunity and open the door we are going outside our comfort zone. The phrase “Go and open the door if there’s a fog it will clear”, represents if you accept the change and there is something you don’t like there it will again change into something positive. At the end of the poem it says even if there is nothing just go and open the door at least there will be a draught. This means if you don’t open the door you will never know what opportunity you missed, you have to take the opportunities in order to understand change.

15.   Tomon 17 Aug 2007 at 11:59 am

Yes this discussion does reflect my own thoughts and interpretations. I agree with the way that it portrays the door as a symbol of change and as a barrier to change. As well as this I agree that it is representative of peoples “comfort zones” and the way that they don’t like to leave them or in other words change. Also the way that when you open the door anything is possible and these things could change your life. Over all this discussion basically sums up all of my thoughts and interpretations of the poem. Another thing that I could add is that the door is not only an entry to change and an exit from peoples little world’s, it is an entry to their world. When they feel that change is to much they can enter the world and place the door as a barrier between them and change.

16.   Nic Cameronon 17 Aug 2007 at 12:51 pm

This poem challenges people’s senses of safety and adventure. The “door” represents both a barrier from the danger outside and also a gateway to adventure at the same time. The things outside range from quite mundane things like a draught to a quite fantastical world nothing like the one that was left last time the door was closed. The author’s own attitude is also shown through the text in the way that he would open the door weather there is a fantastical “magic city” outside or even if it is just to let the draught in, this is the authors’ attitude. Possibly if another author wrote this poem he could have a different attitude that said, “Go and lock the door. Maybe a dog’s rummaging”. The point is everybody is different.
    “Curiosity killed the cat” is the idea that “the door” fly’s in the face of however in the poem the idea that there might be something dangerous outside is never explored so this may point toward the naivety of the perception of a perfect world.
    Every verse starts with the sentence “Go and open the door”. This is a good example of the repetition feature of this text. Other features in this text include a sustained suspense of what could possibly be on the other side of the door.

17.   Alex Pon 19 Aug 2007 at 2:31 pm

The class discussion mainly reflected my own interpretation of “The Door”. It confirmed my thoughts on the main idea of the poem, the symbol of the door, that it represented a barrier to change, restricting us from opportunities. It is a dual metaphor, in that it keeps us safe, yet also limits our choices. Another section that was discussed was the end of the poem. “At least there will be a draught”. This line represents that even if you don’t get anywhere, then at least you have tried and won’t regret not doing it for the rest of your life. At first I didn’t realise the full significance of this last bit, yet now I feel it is a central part to the poem, that stagnation is worse than bad change.
    The juxtaposition used also helped to present a positive outlook on change.“…or a wood, a garden, or a magic city.” The entire poem is an extended metaphor describing this flux, with the symbolic, two-way door, at it’s center. I also feel that the line, “even if nothing is there”, is a crucial phrase, which reminds us yet again that change is always good for us, no matter whether the effects are positive of negative.

18.   camo pon 19 Aug 2007 at 4:53 pm

This discussion did reflect my thoughts and interpretation of the poem. This poem refection, clearly describes that change is necessary and good, even if it is as simple and mundane, as a draught. It describes my point of view clearly as I was having trouble explaining my views. The metaphor that the door is a barrier in change reinforces my thoughts also, as well as the idea that we need to be willing to get out of the norm and try something different. We always have the opportunity for change if only do something simple as opening a door. We only need to willing to except it and have the courage risk it.
    Change is necessary in all of us, and is encouraged by our parents, teachers and all of society. Even though most of us shier away from the chances we have to experience change.

19.   Boydon 20 Aug 2007 at 3:12 pm

The discussion of the poem was close to what I had thought of the poem. The door, the barrier change, which I had thought was the edge of your comfort zone and that opening was getting out of your comfort zone and trying new things that would push you into change. After the discussion I realised that it doesn’t matter if the door represents the barrier to change or the edge of your comfort zone because the two are the same. To me the interpretation of all the different possibilities was that, for each possibility, there is no right and wrong interpretation because there are so many different possible changes that they could be anything.

20.   Josephon 20 Aug 2007 at 5:14 pm

indeed, many of my thoughts and interpretations were brought out in discussion. The idea that anything outside is better than staying inside forever is perfectly valid. Various people have tried to cut themselves off from the world, such as North Korea. It never really helped anyone.

one idea that i don’t think was discussed, at least not while i was listening, is that the voice in the poem seems reluctant to actually get on with it and open the door. It is afraid of what’s out there, and needs a lot more reassurance than the poem is giving it to act.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS